Thursday, January 1, 2009

Closing out a delicious cocoa inspired year, part II


I started the fondue with four (4) Luker Bitter Chocolate squares and two (2) SOL Chocolate with brown sugar squares. Since Luker is 100% pure cocoa chocolate, the SOL was added to sweeten the mix. Both chocolates were added to my double boiler along with one (1) teaspoon of Mexican Vanilla. Since the SOL chocolate has a grainy texture with visible brown sugar granules, the overall texture of the fondue was grainy as well. This definitely wouldn’t do!


Around a half cup of evaporated milk was added for smoothness along with two (2) more squares of SOL chocolate. The bitter chocolate is quite overwhelming and I didn’t want an extremely sweet fondue, but one that would balance the flavor of various fruits and cheeses. I decided to add a cinnamon orange sugar blend I purchased during one of my trips back to California. After multiple sugar additions, one (1) additional teaspoon of Mexican Vanilla and a desire to throw in two Vanilla Bean Marshmallows from Plush Puffs things started to look up. Ahhh…my creation was official.


When it came time to dine, my other half was quite pleased. Considering he was frowning at the sample I provided in the beginning of my fondue making experience, he truly enjoyed the final result.


So, here is how we welcomed the 2009 in our house!





No comments: