Friday, January 2, 2009

Deviation can be good


Deviating from a recipe can occasionally create a fabulous new one. I’ve done it many times before with delicious results. This evening I decided to make chocolate chip cookies with E. Guittard Fair Trade Certified Akoma Extra Semisweet Chocolate Chips made with 55% cacao. Unfortunately, I was out of brown sugar so, I opted to use Dark Muscovado Sugar which contains 100% pure cane sugar from Mauritius. Normally, I bake with margarine (I know Paula Deen wouldn’t approve of this), but this time I actually had unsalted butter in the refrigerator. Instead of the typical pure vanilla, I used Tahitian Vanilla.


Although the changes were minor, the dough color was a little deeper and consistency thicker and chunkier than normal. The final cookie maintained it’s chunky shape and each batch came out the same. Tomorrow, I will be shipping them to some family members for their insight. We enjoyed them in our house and if all is well, I will keep the substitutes a standard in my chocolate cookie recipe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that butter was as healty
as the butter subs. because the proceesing used . I heard this in a Doctorial program at Life U. alanta.
I hopethis is true . I think butter taste better?
Blessings:
Richard
From the Iraq Embassy.

The Cocoa Lady said...

I must say, the cookies were quite tasty with butter vs. margarine.