Thursday, October 8, 2009

Recipe Alert: Key Lime Spiced Hot Cocoa

I've been on a roll this week. I believe the trip to World Market Cost Plus over the weekend jump started a hot chocolate creating frenzy. Nonetheless, I picked up a World Market brand of Key Lime Seasoning during my recent shopping trip. This seasoning contains lime juice powder, lime peel, white pepper, black pepper, ginger, thyme, onion, garlic, cinnamon, mustard, mace, nutmeg, cayenne and all spice.

Now, I know many of would think, "why in the world would you make hot cocoa with that?" But of course I think, "why not"? One of my favorite hot chocolates is Xocolatl by Dagoba which contains chilies and cinnamon and another previously popular hot chocolate at our store was Green & Black's Maya Gold Hot Chocolate which contained ground cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and orange peel. Unfortunately, Green & Black discontinued their product last year which left a void in the spicy hot chocolate market.

Nonetheless, this hot cocoa recipe would definitely be one a Xocolatl or Maya Gold connoisseur would like, or at least I hope. If you want a sugary sweet hot cocoa, this is not for you!

Key Lime Spiced Hot Cocoa (Click here for a pdf copy of the recipe)

Yield: 1 Serving

Ingredients:

3/4 c Milk

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 tsp Key Lime Seasoning

3 tsp Cocoa Powder

1- ½ tbls Sugar

Preparation:

  1. Heat Milk and Vanilla Extract in a double-boiler over medium/low heat.
  1. Whisk in Key Lime Seasoning, Cocoa Powder and Sugar. Bring to a simmer, but do not boil.
  2. Continue to stir mixture until smooth and hot.
  3. Use a strainer when pouring the hot cocoa mixture in to a mug. Garnish and serve.

Personally, I found this recipe to be quite very savory. The blend of sweetness and spice lingers in your month. Since it is made with cocoa powder, the consistency is lighter which allows you to focus on the various bursts of flavor. After a few sips, I thought to myself, "not bad".

Indulge & Enjoy!

No comments: