Thursday, October 18, 2007

Au Bon Pain Hot Chocolate

I learned my lesson from my September trip to Boston that the Au Bon Pain on State and Kirby is not open over the weekend. I was on a mission to try their hot chocolate before I returned to Texas. So, with great anticipation I was ready for a visit after my business meetings on Friday. I was very excited to try their hot chocolate due to an old article I read about Au Bon Pain’s hot chocolate trio called “Choco Bon Loco: A Crazy Chocolate Experience”. The recipe is a blend of three chocolates to form a European style drinking chocolate.

However, when I looked at the menu it simply listed “Hot Chocolate.” Huh? I placed my order and watched the Barista steam away 2% milk. To my disappointment, the recipe was overly sugary, yet thick. What happened to the Choco Bon Loco? My beverage wasn’t a drinking chocolate, but just as it stated on the menu, a “Hot Chocolate”. Maybe Au Bon Pain’s Choco Bon Loco fell to the way side like Starbuck’s Chantico?

No comments: