Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Yelp.com sent me here!

Both air conditioners decided to crap out on me in the middle of the Texas summer so I am way behind in sharing my experiences from DC. Nonetheless, while I was sweating to death down here, I was reminiscing of my hot chocolate experience at Locolat.

After enjoying a splendid yet bug interrupted dining experience at L’Enfant, I made my way to Locolat. Located on 1781 Florida Ave NW in the Adams Morgan district, Locolat is tucked back on Florida Ave. As another Yelp.com recommendation, I placed Locolat on my list to experience their hot chocolate for myself.

The storefront was amazingly open to view the culinary geniuses inside from the sidewalk. If you do not have the money to enjoy one of their confections, at least you can watch the masters hone their craft. Upon entering the store, I was greeted by a lovely case of colorful chocolate delicacies. Although I had hot chocolate on the mind, I had to take a little something home to my husband. A few seconds later a friendly face welcomed me and provided insight on the various candies and truffles. I selected the 5 piece box consisting of a Raspberry Chocolate Candy, a Mojito Chocolate Candy, a White Chocolate Truffle, a Passion Fruit Candy and a Pistachio Chocolate Candy. All were neatly placed in a cute pink and brown “to go box”. For myself, I ordered a round of dark hot chocolate. After I asked the type of milk I wished to have with my order, the Locolat associate whipped up my hot chocolate.

Upon being served, I struck up a conversation with the associate only to find out she and her husband owned Locolat and they both lived in California for a period of time! I knew there was something special about that place. While a having wonderful conversation about love, life, relocating and the American way, my hot chocolate lost it’s froth and optimal temperature. She offered to reheat, but I declined. I sipped it anyways and it was FABULOUS. Locolat uses only Belgian chocolate for their confectionery delights. Whole milk, in my opinion, makes it full-bodied, so it was a perfect pairing.

The husband/chocolatier/culinary confections guru, provided me a sample of pure Belgian chocolate and it was amazing. It was smooth and lacked the acidic snap you receive with some pure chocolates. Personally, I wish I had more Belgium hot chocolates on my shelves after that. So, now I have another action item when I get home.

I still had one last stop before I returned to the hotel, Mixtec. The husband/chocolatier/culinary confections guru graciously provided me with walking directions to my next hot chocolate stop. With my pink and brown chocolate box and a belly full of hot chocolate, I took off for my next adventure.

As for the chocolate candies for my husband, he gulped them down in one sitting. I asked him what his favorite was; he just said “they were good”. Trying to pull some feedback out of him, again all I received was, “they were good”. Geez, I wanted to have a dialogue about the flavors, variations and what his palette experienced with each bite. What was I thinking…

No comments: