Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let them eat crepes!


Initially, I was going to eat at Mixtec. However, I decided to add another location to the mix, Locolat. Yelp.com recommended Locolat for their chocolate experience, so I was following the Washington trail to the Adams Morgan area and DuPont Circle to try Locolat and Mixtec.


Since I exited the Metro a few exits too soon, I was able to enjoy and walk the bustling streets of Washington during the end-of-work-day-hours. I strolled past DuPont Circle and made my way to 18th Street with the assistance of a nice local man. My first stop was going to be Locolat on Florida Ave NW, however a little café at the corner of 18th street caught my eye. Although a huge bus was blocking the café, I saw “crepes” peeking out from the awnings. Everyone who knows me is aware the next best thing to a fabulous cup of hot chocolate are CREPES!

Quickly I switched directions and I was off to the French café across the street called Cafe L'Enfant on 18th. A few people were dining outside and enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. After reviewing a menu, I took a seat outside. For a minute there, I felt I was back in Paris on the Champs-Elysees at a true Parisian café.

Wishing to dine outside of the norm, I ordered a Grand Marnier and Caramel crepe and hot chocolate (of course!). As I waited for my meal, I enjoyed watching the busty streets of 18th and Florida Avenue. The friendly server delivered the hot chocolate arrived first. He must have known what I really wanted! Whipped cream was overflowing this huge café mug! I was wondering if there was actually any hot chocolate underneath there? Quickly I took a sip to determine the texture and flavor of the hot chocolate with the hopes the cream hasn’t influenced the hot chocolates flavor yet. First, impression….it’s a slight hot chocolate and not very chocolately. Next, the little stir spoon provided with the hot chocolate was put into action. I slowly mixed the frothy cream and chocolate together with the hopes the consistency would thicken a little. It helped, but I prefer deep chocolate hot chocolates.

The server returned a few moments later with a simple crèpe surrounded by a light brown liquid….the Grand Marnier. Finally, a crepe made properly. Lately restaurants have been making crepes very thick and loaded with crap. I dislike that immensely. Nonetheless, I took a bite. Whoa! Good thing I was walking because I definitely would have to take a breathalyzer test after this bad boy. A nice thin later of caramel peered between the crepe’s folds. The pairing of L’ Enfant’s hot chocolate and crepes made for a wonderful before dinner luxury.

I wish I could have stayed longer, but the local bugs were eating me alive. So, I was off! Now, I am back on the trail to Locolat and Mixtec.

No comments: