Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Loss of a Top 10

After a disappointing morning trying to find Café Sureia, I was ready to dine at Ceiba (701 14th St NW). My friend/co-worker, who previously resided in DC prior to relocating to Texas, was ready and willing to accompany me on this dining excursion. With her in tow, I know I wouldn’t get lost this time. We arrived for our 7:30 reservation a few minutes early and were seated immediately.

My dining selection for the evening was their Jalisco Spiced Softshell Crabs “Ala Plancha”. Our dinner was delicious, but my appetite could only be quenched after experiencing Ceiba’s legendary Mexican hot chocolate shooter and churros. With great anticipation, I placed my order with our server.

To my surprise, only the churros arrived with a small bowl of dark dipping chocolate and two marshmallows. Assuming the hot chocolate would arrive at any moment, I opted to immerse myself in the hot pastries rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Since I am partial to thick textured dipping and sipping chocolates, I found Ceiba’s dipping chocolate on the thin side. The hint of almond in the mix was nice addition.

By this time, I decide to stop ask the server on the status of the hot chocolate. We were told they no longer served the hot chocolate. My heart dropped and I became annoyed. We inquired as to why a top ranked hot chocolate by USA Today with PR recognition would no longer be served? The server went on to explain with the arrival of a new pastry chef, the Mexican hot chocolate was removed from the menu. Although the server explained the hot chocolates transition professionally and gracefully, I interrupted this as “another ego arrived on the scene and didn’t want to whip up someone else’s award winning item, so they decided to scrap it all together.” With that said, I ceased eating my churros and chocolate as disappointment took over.

Strike One (1) Washington, DC on the hot chocolate trail! I hope I have better luck with Mixtec…

No comments: