Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Microwave Chocolate Explosion

So, the chocolate beverage of the morning was Valor Taza to Go. Valor Taza to Go is the next generation drinking chocolate that arrived on the scene last year. It replaced one of the top selling drinking chocolates I had on my shelves, Valor CAO. The liquid form provides two cups of drinking chocolate. The downfall is that once you open the container you must indulge in the second cup within five days and the packaging lacks a closure to keep it sealed until your next cup.

I was already cranky from being up since 4:00 am this morning and I just knew a wicked cup of chocolate would whip me out of this funky mood. Upon opening the package, I poured the extremely thick drinking chocolate into a mug. It looked just like the pudding. The good thing is that I am accustomed to the thick texture as one of my favorite drinking chocolates was Mandarian a la Taza. To my dismay it is discontinued.

Valor has been making chocolate for over 125 years. We all know that in Spain, chocolates are done right! I didn't realize that Valor CAO was discontinued until I started receiving large orders of 5 and 10 units per order. Unfortunately, I had to call the last Valor CAO customer to let them know the cacao powder was officially gone. It was lights out for another popular hot chocolate.

Since I was preparing to donate the short-dated Taza to Go inventory, it provided the perfect opportunity to try a new drinking chocolate.

When I placed the mug into the microwave, I didn't pay attention to the time I entered. When the timer went off, I was preparing to dive in to some deep, rich chocolate. Upon opening the microwave door, I saw a hot chocolate mess. It looked like a glass chocolate molten cake. If my husband was home, he would probably use his finger to capture every last drop of this chocolate explosion.

After wiping up around the mug, I took a tiny sip. Wow! Way too hot. I waited for it to cool down a bit. Attempt number two was much better, however, I was like "hmmm". Attempt number three confirmed, this was not a drinking chocolate for me. Just to be sure, I will try it again as my over "nuking" make have contributed to the beverage's taste.

No comments: