Thursday, November 20, 2008

A return to hot chocolate, Starbucks style


While shopping at my local Target, I noticed a sign displaying a trio of “Signature Hot Chocolates”. I thought to myself…hmmm. Starbucks is trying to lure in the “other” untapped customer again. Chocolate Connoisseurs.

A few years back, Starbucks introduced a drinking chocolate called Chantico. However, it was never fully adopted by the market. I can easily explain why. Most people truly believe hot chocolate is a water-based flavored drink with minimal cocoa content. Chantico, from what I understand, was extremely thick and along the lines of a European drinking chocolate. Clearly, people were not ready for such an extreme from what they were accustomed to… the dreaded instant hot chocolate!


I decided to try the Signature Hot Chocolate. You can tell I am not a Starbucks customer as I still refer to the sizes as small, medium and large. Oh, I am so uncouth! When my drink arrived, it had a mild layer of whipped cream on top. I simply love it that way. Too much whipping cream takes away from the overall drink. Starbucks receives 1 point for getting the whipped cream correct.

When I finally reached the creamy hot chocolate, I was nicely surprised. It wasn’t overly sweet, had a nice consistency and flavor. Starbucks 2 points . I hate to admit it, but I was pleased. If I am ever seeking a hot chocolate on the run and have a few dollars to spare, I will consider a hot chocolate stop at Starbucks.

No comments: