Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My New Toy


Over the weekend, I decided I needed a new gadget to simplify my homemade hot chocolate making experience. My current double boiler is nice, but I was itching to spend money I didn’t have.

After doing a little research online at my favorite specialty kitchenware stores, I found exactly what I was looking for and prepared myself for a mini shopping excursion. Tada! I purchased a BonJour All-In-One Double Boiler. This easy to use stainless steel double boiler comes with a small black funnel to add water to the unit’s reservoir. After washing the unit, I used the funnel to fill the boiler’s reservoir with water. Once filled with water, I placed the unit on my stove, turned the burner on and I was off to the hot chocolate races.

To christen my new double boiler, I decided to make chocolate ice cream using a dark hot chocolate mix. (I will go into more depth on that comedy of errors on a later post.) Nonetheless, I was pleased with the unit’s performance. I didn’t have to worry about water boiling over on to the stove’s flames, and it was easy to wash and store. Most importantly, I didn’t have to worry about scorching my chocolate shavings.

With a traditional double boiler, you must make sure the water level is just below the base. The steam from the hot water melts the chocolate, but if you have the water too high it will engulf the boiler’s base and the extremely hot water may burn your chocolate.

This gadget would definitely get a lot of use by my friends at the Foodie Blog Roll! My only recommendation for the next generation double boiler is to add a lip for simplified pouring. (Hint, hint… BonJour if you get this post via an alert or rss feed :})

No comments: