Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Off to the Bellagio Hotel


Although I am back in Texas, I still have many tales from my hot chocolate mission!

After a surprise arrival of my mother and sister from Cali, I dragged them along on my mission. The two actually looked forward to the adventure. Since I again had to work during the day, I wished to arrive at the Jean-Philippe Patisserie at 9:00 am. We arrived at the monorail ready to start our mission. However, the blasted thing did not work! Exceptionally annoyed that I purchased a 3-day pass and my mom and sister purchased a one-day pass that would not be used. We ended up taking a Taxi to the Bellagio. More wasted money, but I know it is going to be worth it.

We primarily stay at the Venetian when we visit Vegas, so this was going to be our first visit to Bellagio. Once inside, the beautiful blown glass ceiling was absolutely amazing. The Brightly colored flowers in various sizes and designs were spectacular. The glass flower garden in the sky lead to a festive garden.

The garden was travel inspired with miniature travels traveling throughout the shrubbery, bridges or water falls. Since my husband is a locomotive engineer he would have loved to see this. Unfortunately, he wasn’t with me on this trip. Nonetheless, have emerging ourselves in the beauty around us we moved on to finding Jean-Philippe Patisserie.

Wella! Low and beyond the chocolate beauty was upon us. Just a few feet behind the garden was Jean-Philippe’s! It has an amazing chocolate fountain with white and milk chocolate flowing from one clear clamshell shaped bowl to another. It was like chocolate heaving seen the chocolate flow from the ceiling to the floor.

We hopped in line quickly due to the high traffic volume. We all decided on crepes, but since the menu was facing the hallway and not the actual line and menus were no where in site. We winged it. Our family simply loves berry crepes. Therefore, I knew when I peeked the marinated berry crepe on the menu before we got in line that the berry crepe would be our selection. My sister is not adventurous as my mother and I. She selected the simple crepe with sugar and hot chocolate. After placing my order for a crepe and hot chocolate I could not wait to indulge in it. Look how beautiful it is!

The crepe was superior. The crepe was flooded in berry compote of raspberry, black berries, and blueberries. I think it also had rhubarb? The inside of the crepe contained a layer of cream. I am not sure what it was, but it was fabulous. When it came time for a sip of hot chocolate, I couldn’t wait to taste the flavors of Jean-Philippe. While watching the Jean-Philippe employee make the hot chocolate, I noticed they also use half-and-half for their hot chocolate.

Now, it is hot chocolate time. I had to allow my palate to neutralize from the sweetness of the crepe so I could truly experience the hot chocolate. Finally, it was sipping time. You could taste the bittersweet chocolate with a hint of sweetening.

The texture was full, but not too thick. For the average person, this isn’t the hot chocolate they are accustomed to drinking. My sister thought it was “okay” and wanted more sugar. Blah!! I was thinking to myself, “you are going to ruin a wonderful cup of hot chocolate!” My mother tasted my and loved it. Mommie gets it. Big sister…doesn’t.

No comments: