Monday, January 28, 2008

Entry Maltodextrin, Gum Arabic and Cocoa????


During my last visit to Trader Joe’s, I was trying to replenish my supply of their Organic Cocoa Powder that is non-alkalized, gluten-free and Kosher certified. Unfortunately, they stopped carrying the product which made me very unhappy. So, I had to see what other alternatives they had on their shelves. After visiting two different stores, I came home with Trader Joe’s Conacado Organic Fair Trade Cocoa, a Natural Mint Cocoa and a Sipping Chocolate.

Last night I decided to try the Conacado Cocoa. The beans are purchased from the Conacado grower’s cooperative of the Dominican Republic and the product has every single certification on the market plastered all over the can. USDA Organic, Quality Assurance International Certified Organic, Fair Trade Certified and one certification/label I’ve never heard of (COR183D).

It is interesting that this is an organic product with an organic maltodextrin [corn] and organic gum Arabic in the ingredients. What those two have to do with cocoa is beyond me but….

Nonetheless, I was used my Archer Farms Organic Milk to keep in theme with the “organic” experience to make the hot cocoa. At first I was a little concerned that it would be too thin. However, I noticed the consistency appeared to thicken over a period of time. Which is excellent for me since I love thick and creamy beverages.

Overall, I must say the Conacado Cocoa was fine, but I truly miss the Organic Cocoa Powder and it’s easy to read ingredients. Bring it back!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gum arabic acts like an emulsifier helping the particles of cocoa stay suspended, also thickening it which you mentioned you enjoyed. I think the maltodextrin also helps do the same.

The Cocoa Lady said...

Hey Anonymous. Thanks for the educational piece!