Sunday, August 5, 2007

White Hot Chocolate?

After an early morning trip to the Houston Galleria, I stopped by one of my favorite stores...Dylan's Candy Bar. Instantly, I turn into a kid again. It was all about Fun Dip, Everlasting Gobstoppers and any other candy made by Willy Wonka. But of course, I don't stray too far from finding goodies to make hot chocolate.

I came across some squares of white chocolate mixed with dried fruit. I am not a fan of white chocolate because it really isn't chocolate. White chocolate is made with sugar, cocoa butter and milk. There isn't an ounce of chocolate liquor or cocoa solids/mass in it. So, why they call it "chocolate" is beyond me?

Nonetheless, when I got home I set up the double boiler and started up chopping up one square of the white chocolate. I added one cup of milk to the double boiler. Since I can't stand skin forming on my milk and I make sure I keep the temperature at Medium/Low. Once the milk was heated, I added the white chocolate w/berry pieces to the milk. After stirring frequently and watching the berries come away from the chocolate, I placed a strainer over my mug. I poured the yellowish colored mixture into the mug/strainer, leaving the berries behind.

Ahhhh! Finally, I sat down to enjoy my quick creation. Ohhhh! Too sugary for me? However, you can takes the essence of the berries. Cranberries were definitely was included in the mix. Oh well, I will save the other square for another adventure.

No comments: